7 characters of a good leader – Tun Mahathir
In one conference recently, Dr Mahathir outlined seven attributes of a good leader. They are:
- A good leader may not be humble but at least he should not be boastful.
- He must be prepared to accept responsibilities but should not be too pushy and insistent on taking the lead.
- He should not seek to blame others for failures but to admit his own culpability. He should not point fingers or seek scapegoats.
- He should be modest and not seek praise and glory.
- He should know how to handle his followers as much as his superiors. He must be sensitive to the sensitivities of others.
- He should be willing to do what he expects others to do. He should uphold the slogan of leadership by example.
- He should be learned and more intelligent at least by comparison of the people he leads.
Quotes from the former PM
“Good leadership is obviously very important. We cannot always identify the good leaders early enough so that we choose the right one. The German people who chose HItler did not know what kind of leader he would turn out to be.
“On the other hand, leaders who turned out to be good had great difficulty in winning the support of people initially. Even the Prophet of Islam was stoned by the people of Taif when he started preaching the religion of Islam”
“When the leaders are incompetent, the countries would fall. The people may be the same, the background and the wealth and resources may be the same, but when leaders are incompetent or just plain bad, then great nations, even great empires can fall”